Skip to main content

Interview with Bożena Czynciel - Restaurant and winery owner

Interviewer: Mateusz Wilk
Entrepreneur: Bożena Czynciel

Klimaty Południa is a winery and restaurant localized in the centre of Kraków. It offers customers a wide range of wines and other beverages from around the world and carefully selected dishes. People come here to learn about wine, how to taste it, drink it and compose with food. 


How did you come up with the idea of a restaurant? When was it?

The idea appeared when after years of working in various corporations I have decided to become my own boss. After some research, I come to the conclusion that the best decision would be to open a restaurant and so happened in 2007.

What are the pros of the restaurant? What makes it so special? What attracts customers?

The restaurants biggest advantage is its uniqueness. The atmosphere, meals and service are meant to be the best around and because of this, the restaurant has been through a lot of changes. We come up with new dishes every few months to keep up with trends and seasonal fruits and vegetables. Today the restaurant is described as a 'hidden gem' by a lot of our customers along with almost 1000 positive reviews on TripAdvisor.

Do you cooperate with other businesses? Does it work?

The restaurant business is something else. We here are like manufacture which delivers the ready product directly to the customer. However, when it comes to acquiring resources we almost fully rely on our mostly abroad suppliers who we are working directly with. Sometimes it's difficult or expensive but in the end, we get the finest ingredients possible.

Did you learn anything new by running this business? Maybe you have developed new habits?

I learn something new every day! But the truth is is that the beginning was the most difficult part for me. I had to trial and error every single idea that came to my mind. When it comes to habits surely I have developed some but more connected with management and keeping an eye on everything. 

Do you have your own way of managing people? Do you treat everyone individually?

Here, in Klimaty Południa waiters are not only serving you the food and wine but also teach you how to taste it. To do so, firstly they have to know how to do it themselves. Every waiter goes through special training to learn about wines, tastes and other important aspects of art which is food.

Have you studied gastronomy or learned anything about it in the past? Do you feel the difference?

No, everything I know now I have learned during my career as a restaurant owner. I had to come up with everything myself or by looking it up online. But I think this is exactly what makes this restaurant one of its kind. 

How long did it take you to make the business go on by itself?

I started making profits about a few years after opening but the truth is that I have to be here most of the time to keep an eye on everything. That's because as both the owner and manager I have the deciding vote.

What are the difficulties when running a business like this? 

Of course, keeping new customers coming and having unique ideas. That's why we organize many events like wine or cheese tasting. It might be something new for many people and that's what makes us special.

Have you ever thought about opening a restaurant chain?

Yes, for quite a long time and I have come to the conclusion that it's a terrible idea because I barely have time to look after only one restaurant! If I did so, then I would have to hire more people to help me with management but then the whole idea of this restaurant would disappear.

How did trends and time affect the restaurant? Did you have to change anything to keep customers coming?

Throughout the last years, I've been watching many other restaurants opening just because of some trend and quickly closing or changing dramatically when it was over. Klimaty Południa is something else - we follow an idea of a restaurant made for people to learn tastes. We didn't have to fight or advertise aggressively. People come here because of the atmosphere, good food and the best wine around. And I think this is the tip for every entrepreneur - do it for the people, not for the money.

Thank you for the talk and for this great advice!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Romain Rebour, The Official Representative Of French Tech Community In Poland

Romain is the founder and CEO of FRENCH4DEV, a fastgrowing software house in krakow http://french4dev.com Hello Romain, thank you so much for agreeing to meet me and do this interview. - Johnny: why did you decide to become entrepreneur?   - Romain: Since the end of my studies I wanted to become an entrepreneur. I've studied international Management and during my studies, I had the chance to have an internship for two years in Siemens and I was in direct contact with the main manager of Simmons in France and I liked the way he was managing, I liked what he was doing, so I was thinking 'why not me one day?'. And to be an entrepreneur I had to gain knowledge and be sure of where I go. So why to be an entrepreneur?! Because to get out of big corporations and be my own boss and make my own decisions and have the impact I want. So that was the goal.   - Johnny: Are you planning to become a big corporation?   - Romain: Well, we will see but for now I don't kno