Skip to main content
Peter Zastavny frankly told about himself

Peter  is a very successful Ukrainian entrepreneur , has  popular restaurants in Ternopil „Na nebi”,“ Jan Amour”, pub   “Passage Adlera 13”, night club “Young”. He also is a blogger in Instagram and provides master classes , where Petro shares his experience with others. I decided to talk to him .

- Petr, You have first planned to be a lawyer and now You are a successful entrepreneur . Why did you decide to change your specialty?

 - When choosing a profession, I was in the tenth or eleventh grade. This was a  decision of my parents.  I completely saw the judicial and law enforcement system in a different way.  During my studies at the University I was practicing in the court and the prosecutor's office.  Being in a cynical environment, I understood that it was not for me.

-When  did You decide to go to the restaurant business?

 - On the second course during the summer holidays I went to work as a waiter in the restaurant of my father "Fayne city".  I liked it, but stayed there for a long time.  You know, I wanted to relax, talk with my friends, because I studied in Kiev, and they mostly stayed in Ternopil.The following year, a month and a half I worked in the cafe "Golden Ducat".   Then I started to find a lot of mistakes in the management of this cafe and wanted to improve something.  For example, change sales methods, redesign the bar, add something in the menu.  I have clearly seen what could  be done. And decided to start  my own business.

Did you implement your ideas at Jan Amor? Was you afraid that in Ternopil you wouldn’t be able to find customers ?

 - "Jan Amor" is a small restaurant with 55 seats.  The point is that in Ternopil we have a rush to the extreme.  We have  the cool fashionable restaurant with white tablecloths, or a place in which everything is cheap and ugly.  We wanted to do something intermediate - more high quality food, but at an affordable price. Everyone laughed and said that oysters in Ternopil would never go away.  We decided why not. I have tried and all managed.  It turned out that there are people in Ternopil who rode each week in Lviv to season with seafood.  Now they say: "It's cool that now you can do this in Ternopil."

- Was it difficult to form a team? How much do you pay for the job of the waiter?

 - In fact, for Ternopil, the issue of stuff is the number one problem.  Some went abroad, others did not want to work.  There is a bunch of young people who shout that there is no work in the city, but at the same time she does not even try.  As for me, this is not normal.  Often I hear the phrase: "I will not work for two or three thousand".  Our waiters really have a complicated work schedule.  But they together with the tip receive over 10 thousand UAH.  in a month.  That is, if a person wants to work, he or she will find the opportunity.

- How did you get experience in the restaurant business?  Mastered it from scratch?

 - When I started working, I saw that there were many different terms and rules in this area.  I even thought to go to college to understand the processes.  But later I realized that everything came with experience.  Our institutions have gathered people who have been working in this field for many years.  I studied with them and continue to study and improving myself as an entrepreneur.

Are you a severe boss?

 - I think I am not enough severe sometimes , and this is my minus.  I have  a lot of friends in the stuff.  Lately it will play an evil joke with me .  For example, there are cases when a person does not cope with his work and needs to be punished .  You do not do this because you feel uncomfortable, as he /she is a good friend of mine.  You are pulling off this moment and the staff sees that someone is doing something wrong and is not punished. This means that others can do the same.  Guests who come to the restaurant, too, feel that something is going wrong. So the restaurant starts to lose money economically.

Is it possible for a young man to start a business just after studying ?

 - In my blog in Instagram and it is a very common question .Just a week ago, I have wrote a lot of different answers .  From how to find an investor, write a business plan, before you build a team and who you can be in it.

Today, the institutions that belong to your are among the most successful in Ternopil.  What is the secret of such a success?

 - First, it is a continuous work on your product.  People come to us through delicious food and drinks.  They know that we have quality.  Unlike other institutions, we do not set a 100-200% margin.  It should be high-quality and for a democratic price.  I call it an honest meal.
In fact, people do not need anything more.  They themselves will create an atmosphere and prompt what they need.  For example, the guests sat down at the window and say that the sun is shining.  This means that in two days you have to hang roller shutters.  If they ask to make music bigger - oh, so we  need another column. Secret : just listen !

- Apart from the restaurant business, do you see yourself in some other field?

 - Yes, IT.  Our family has an IT technology company.  It is currently working on very interesting projects with the GPS stuff.

- How do you feel when your restaurant is criticized?

 - In Europe people say that Ukrainians are the most demanding in terms of service.  And among Ukrainians, probably, residents of Ternopil.  They are very  strict, but it helps us to get better.

-Oh, thank You  for very interesting interview and tips !

- Thank You too! Good bye!

By Karina Vozniuk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Romain Rebour, The Official Representative Of French Tech Community In Poland

Romain is the founder and CEO of FRENCH4DEV, a fastgrowing software house in krakow http://french4dev.com Hello Romain, thank you so much for agreeing to meet me and do this interview. - Johnny: why did you decide to become entrepreneur?   - Romain: Since the end of my studies I wanted to become an entrepreneur. I've studied international Management and during my studies, I had the chance to have an internship for two years in Siemens and I was in direct contact with the main manager of Simmons in France and I liked the way he was managing, I liked what he was doing, so I was thinking 'why not me one day?'. And to be an entrepreneur I had to gain knowledge and be sure of where I go. So why to be an entrepreneur?! Because to get out of big corporations and be my own boss and make my own decisions and have the impact I want. So that was the goal.   - Johnny: Are you planning to become a big corporation?   - Romain: Well, we will see but for now I don't kno