Skip to main content

Interview with an insurance agent

I'm going to present the interview with Jerzy Grajdek - an insurance agent and owner of the WARTA S.A. Insurance Agency in Zawiercie.
Jerzy graduated business studies at Wyższa Szkoła Biznesu and after that he decided to set up his own economic activity. Before running the agency, he worked as a policeman. One day he made up one's mind that he want be his own boss and left the police.

1. What exactly does an insurance agent do?
I offer life insurance, property, personal and communication insurance - civil liability, AC, accident insurance, pension insurance, travel insurance, business insurance and group life insurance.

2. Why an insurance agency? Where did you get the idea for a job in this field of business?
I worked in the police for many years. It was a very responsible and stressful job, I liked it, but one day I felt that I had to change something in my life. I didn't want to work for someone anymore, I wanted to be my own boss. Therefore, while still working as a policeman, I went to study business. After 3 years, I graduated the university and then I decided to set up my own insurance agency in my hometown. It wasn't easy to work, study and support the family in the same time. I'm glad that I didn't give up.

3. What were the beginnings of working as an insurance agent?
It was a jump into deep water. My knowledge was fresh and purely theoretical. I didn't have experience in sales and direct contact with the client. The first days of work were very stressful. Customers came with various issues and expected fast and professional service. It was a very intense time of practical learning. In order to serve the client well, I had to quickly learn about various types of insurance. Thanks to these difficult beginnings, I learned how to deal with different situations and comprehensively serve clients. Over time, I gained experience and expanded my knowledge. There were also nice words from customers indicating their satisfaction with my service. All this meant that in the place of stress, satisfaction and self-confidence increased.

4.What do you like in your work?
I like people and contact with them. Each meeting with the client brings to my professional life, new experiences. I am happy to listen, talk and advise my clients. Thanks to this, they trust me and know that they can count on my discretion and help. I treat each customer individually and try to match the offer to his needs and possibilities. I also like the atmosphere in my work. Good relations with the customers and mutual trust are very important. That's what I was able to create in my office, which I'm very happy with.

5. What are the rules you follow in business?
I adhere to the principle - "treat others as you would like to be treated", which is why honesty and professional ethics occupy the first place in my work. I also know that good comes back, that is why despite the times of difficulties I still share with others what I have the best - I advise, support, motivate, set goals and strive for their implementation.

6. What is the biggest difficulty at work and how do you deal with it?
The biggest difficulty for me is competing with other insurance companies, sometimes very aggressive. Sometimes I deal with it better, sometimes worse, but always with honest work and material evidence gained over a number of years of my work. Well used time for the client results in future commands.

7. What affects winning with the competition on the market today?
The competition is won by professionalism, good product, speed of action, individual approach to the customer, kindness and understanding. Of course, the price also plays a huge role. Customers are willing to pay a little more, but if the difference in the premium is high, they will leave. Customers also expect the agent's availability. Many of them prefer to meet in the office, and my office is in the city center, so that's the perfect place.

8. What do you advice, based of your long-term experience, to novice businessmen?
As a businessman, I have a few years of experience. I have specific advice to diversify your portfolio from the very beginning. I believe that you need to have small private clients and small companies so that you can pay all your fees and life from the commission earned, and treat large shots as a bonus for holidays, home renovation or storage. Focusing only on large clients just as I wanted to do it in the beginning was not a good idea. The lessons I have learned allowed me to create a portfolio that provides both everyday financial security and holiday bonuses. If you like people, you treat them well and you understand what insurance is and why they are used and important (and I'm not thinking about your commission here), this is a good way to start your adventure with insurance.

Thank you for the attention.

Patrycja Widawska

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Romain Rebour, The Official Representative Of French Tech Community In Poland

Romain is the founder and CEO of FRENCH4DEV, a fastgrowing software house in krakow http://french4dev.com Hello Romain, thank you so much for agreeing to meet me and do this interview. - Johnny: why did you decide to become entrepreneur?   - Romain: Since the end of my studies I wanted to become an entrepreneur. I've studied international Management and during my studies, I had the chance to have an internship for two years in Siemens and I was in direct contact with the main manager of Simmons in France and I liked the way he was managing, I liked what he was doing, so I was thinking 'why not me one day?'. And to be an entrepreneur I had to gain knowledge and be sure of where I go. So why to be an entrepreneur?! Because to get out of big corporations and be my own boss and make my own decisions and have the impact I want. So that was the goal.   - Johnny: Are you planning to become a big corporation?   - Romain: Well, we will see but for now I don't kno